I was talking to an experienced and highly talented consultant the other day. In the course of the conversation, he listed for me lessons learned over the years that sounded much like a “Consultant’s Credo” to a long successful career. It went something like this:
• Treat all levels in the organization as a valuable customer.
• Ask yourself every day “how will I add value today?”
• Always be prepared for the chance meeting in the elevator as well as the board room presentation.
• Be a professional –in how you look and in your work style.
• Be willing to reinvent yourself as you gain information and experience.
• Be open to learning and to make necessary course corrections based on that learning.
• Be honest.
• First listen, evaluate what is heard, then work on solutioning.
What wisdom would you add to this list? I’d love to hear it.